What is an Open Trough Modular Planter?
Open Trough Planters are a long continuous channel of planters that are bolted together on-site at the time of installation. They are connected below the fill-line, and with this configuration, you’ll see a tighter vertical joint.
To make these planters we precision-cut the required pieces of metal and pre-drill any necessary holes with a CNC fiber laser. The cut sheets are then fully welded into the specified shape and then made smooth using a grinder. The metal planters are finally powder coated (with the exception of COR-TEN weathering steel).
This Connect Modular Planter System design provides a continuous open trough, so you can space ornamental trees or other foliage more evenly over the entire run.
Rubber feet and shims (if requested) are provided to help with the leveling process. Plus, the joint locations can be adjusted to customize the spacing.
When to use Open Trough Modular Planters
Use Open Trough Modular Planters when you:
- More space for root growth is required
- A long continuous planter is needed
- There is a need to space plantings equally across planter space
- A connecting watering system is required such as the Ollie Plant Sipper Linkable Tanks
- When a watertight configuration is NOT required
- There is an on-site installation team
What Planter material is Used for Open Trough Modular Planters?
- Marine-grade aluminum
- COR-TEN weathering steel
PureModern Open Trough Modular Planter Projects
Roosevelt - Jackson Heights, NY: G&M works, a landscape contractor, installed PureModern’s marine-grade powder-coated aluminum planters throughout the landscaped rooftop gardens on the 3rd and 14th floors. Complete with fabricated cutouts to fit pathway lights, the planters were further customized into specific shapes. The custom shaping enables the planters to seamlessly soften and tie together the multi-purpose space that includes tables, lounging areas, and even an outdoor kitchen with grills for Roosevelt Parc residents to use.
What Other Connect Modular Planter System Options Are There?
If the Open Trough Modular Planter design does not fit your budget or landscape design plan needs click here to learn more about our Connect Modular Planter Sytem options or click below to learn more about other modular planter design options.
- Bottomless Retaining Edging Planters: Joining bottomless edging planters together at the sides (this option is like retention edging in landscaping)
- Bolted Butt-Joined Planters: Securely bolting planters together by butt joining the sides
- Non-Bolted Butt Joined Planters: Butt joining planter sides together on a level surface without bolting the planters
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I order product samples even though I am not ordering a product right now?
When you order PureModern’s free samples*, you can see the color and texture**, and placing the samples in the right lighting will allow you to determine, with confidence, the correct option for you and your client.
*Planter color samples are complimentary. Fire pit swatches require a down payment that is credited upon return.
**Only our Modern Elite Planter and concrete fire pit color samples come in the same product color and texture. Our PurePots color samples come on a heavy plastic that emulates the texture of our fiberglass planters.
What types of planters materials do you offer?
The materials you incorporate into your space will impact the final product of your design. At PureModern, our planters come in a variety of materials, including:
- Powder-Coated Aluminum. These customizable, marine-grade aluminum planters look good while withstanding all types of weather conditions
- COR-TEN Steel. Ideal for outdoor spaces that need greenery with an edgy spin. Planters made from this material are naturally water and frost resistant.
- Fiberglass.These planters are lightweight, durable, and versatile. Our modern commercial-grade fiberglass planters are made to enhance both indoor and outdoor spaces.
- Custom Materials. PureModern offers a wide array of customization options, including materials, shapes, and finishes. We also provide installation and irrigation accessories.
We’ve categorized our modern planters by material to make it easy for you to find the right material for your needs. If you need help deciding which material is best for your project, contact us, and we will get you started.
Do your planters have drainage systems?
Yes! We offer a number of irrigation and installation solutions.
For irrigation purposes, consider Ollie Plant Sippers, which capitalize on a plant’s own natural capillary action. With this system, plants require 80% less water, and the water holding tank only needs to be filled every six weeks – conserving resources and saving you time and money.
EZ Fill-Ter Bags provide a natural filtration system and are also an effective way to fill your planter that doesn't involve heavy soil or stones.
If you’re planning to hook up to an irrigation system, we can custom-cut drainage holes that fit your unique system.
If you’ve still got questions about how to choose a planter that will provide the right drainage solution for your design plan, find more information here or contact us today.
What is the lead time for planters?
We strive to meet your specific requested date. Please let us know when you need the planters delivered by, and then we can work backward from your date. Lead times vary from 1 week to 4 months depending, on the material of the planter, current stock availability, and whether or not it is a custom project. For your convenience, we have outlined general timelines per brand.
If you need something rushed or if you would like a custom-designed planter, please contact us, and we will see if we can work with you to meet your deadline.
Modern Elite Aluminum Planters
- Ships 1 - 3 weeks from order date.
- In-stock planters ships within 1 week of order date.
COR-TEN Weathering Steel Planters (made to order)
- Ships 2-4 weeks from order date.
All other planter brands
- Stock planters: Ships within 1 week of order date.
- Out-of-stock planters: Ships within 10 to 12 weeks.
- Ships 3-4 weeks after order date.
All other products
- Ship time varies per product (usually within a week for in-stock products). View specific product to find lead time in the product specs.
What are the top lip options for metal planters?
- No Top Lip
- 1-inch Lip Only
- 1-inch Lip and Return
- Reverse Top Lip
- Custom Lip Option – Your Vision. Our Container.
Modern Elite Rectangular Planter with No Top Lip
Modern Elite Cube Planter with 1 inch Top Lip
Modern Elite Modular Planter with 1 inch Top Lip and Return
Modern Elite Custom Planter with Reverse Top Lip
PurePots Fiberglass Custom Planters with Custom Lip
Do you provide trade discounts and wholesale pricing?
Yes, we do offer trade discounts and wholesale pricing. To apply to our trade discount program, please click here to learn more and fill out the form. Once the form is filled out, you can expect to hear back from us within 24 hours.
To learn more about our wholesale planter pricing, click here.