Bottomless commercial planters offer an innovative way to help ensure your plants grow optimally while reducing the maintenance and upkeep you need to put into them.
Here’s the thing about plants: they’re living things. That means they’re constantly growing and require attention and care in order to survive.
But there’s a lot you can do to help ensure they’re healthy and strong while reducing the amount of legwork and upkeep required from you, including using bottomless planters.
In this article, we’ll explore what exactly a bottomless planter is, how it works, and when it’s the right call for your space.
What is a Bottomless Planter?
Rather than an elevated planter with an enclosed bottom, bottomless commercial planters act more like a frame than a container, similar to edging. And, in turn, they offer the traditional visual appeal you want from a planter while providing enhanced functionality for growing your plants.
Bottomless Edging Planter for 150 Charles
How Do Bottomless Planters Work?
These open-bottomed planters allow your plants’ uninhibited access to the soil below while still offering the visual appeal of above-ground dimensions.
So, instead of your plants eventually bottoming out in your planter as their roots grow deeper and larger, they’re able to continue growing and naturally reach their full potential.
What Are the Benefits of Bottomless Planters?
Bottomless planters offer many benefits, both for your plants and you. These benefits include:
- Optimized Growth: Since your plants can root directly into the ground, bottomless planters mean they aren’t inhibited and can grow to their full potential.
- Better Drainage: When stagnant water sits in the bottom of a traditional planter, it can cause the plant’s roots to rot and die. While you can use solutions to mitigate this, bottomless planters allow for free-flowing drainage.
- Fewer Weeds: Plants that sit inside bottomless planters are given a level of protection against invasive weeds.
- Less Maintenance: Using bottomless planters means never having to repot plants as they grow, heavily water them, or fill them with topsoil. They offer lower maintenance levels than traditional planters, making them optimal for people who want a “set-it-and-forget-it” type of plant situation.
When Should You Use Bottomless Planters?
If you’re wondering when to consider using bottomless planters, we’d recommend them when:
- You have a large, open planting bed
- You want to keep costs low
- Your existing sub-base is suitable to grow plants or trees
- You need to create multiple terraces of foliage
- You would like to use edging to create a border
If it looks like bottomless planters are for you, we recommend requesting a quote for the size of bottomless planter you are looking for by clicking here.
These modular planters are created with the same planter sub walls as our standard planters but are manufactured without a bottom. The planter retaining walls are stabilized using gussets when taller planter heights are required.
Custom Bottomless Commercial Planters
If you don’t see the right planters for your needs in our catalog, don’t worry—you can build completely custom planters using our seven-step process, which includes:
- Determining the application of your custom planters
- Picking your custom planter shape
- Selecting the right material for your planter
- Choosing your planter color
- Specifying any irrigation or installation needs
- Determining your timelines
- Getting a quote
Our process is designed to ensure you get the perfect planter for your needs, delivered on time and to your exact specifications.
And if you’ve still got questions about bottomless planters, simply request a quote today. Our experts will be happy to help you find the perfect fit.