Frequently Asked Questions
What types of planter materials do you offer?
The materials you incorporate into your space will impact the final product of your design. At PureModern, our planters come in a variety of materials, including:
- Powder-Coated Aluminum. These customizable, marine-grade aluminum planters look good while withstanding all types of weather conditions
- COR-TEN Steel. Ideal for outdoor spaces that need greenery with an edgy spin. Planters made from this material are naturally water and frost resistant.
- Fiberglass.These planters are lightweight, durable, and versatile. Our modern commercial-grade fiberglass planters are made to enhance both indoor and outdoor spaces.
- Custom Materials. PureModern offers a wide array of customization options, including materials, shapes, and finishes. We also provide installation and irrigation accessories.
We’ve categorized our modern planters by material to make it easy for you to find the right material for your needs. If you need help deciding which material is best for your project, contact us, and we will get you started.
What sizes of planters are available?
We have planters in stock that are available in certain sizes AND we have the capability to custom manufacture planters to your specifications.
- Height: We offer planters that are less than 18” in height all the way to planters that are taller than 31”.
- Length: Some of our planters are less than 24” and others are longer than 72”.
We are happy to provide custom sizes for our clients.
If you’re looking for a particular size, use the filters on the following link https://www.puremodern.com/collections/commercial-planters-pots to find the perfect modern planter for your next project.
We’ll work closely with you to craft custom modern planters that meet your exact requirements — whatever your needs and preferences.
Indoor or outdoor planters?
The first thing you need to know to select the right modern planter for your needs is where and how it will be used.
Our modern planters can be used in both indoor and outdoor spaces. The most important question to ask is:
Do you need drainage holes or not?
If you have an interior application then you won’t want drainage holes but if the planter is outside and NOT in a covered area then you will want drainage holes so excess water can drain out.
Be sure to consider whether you have sufficient natural light in the spot where you’ll be placing the planter — either from a nearby window or directly from the sky above.
Please note that one material we sell (COR-TEN) can only be used outside.
What should I use to fill void spaces inside my planter?
When planted properly, greenery in modern containers becomes a truly stunning element in any design plan.
But a gorgeous display in a modern planter can become an issue if you don’t know how to properly fill the planter. Potting mix isn’t always the answer. First, it’s heavy and expensive. And if your planter is large, plants can develop a complex root system.
Other filler options include:
- Plastic containers from your recycling bin
- Packing material
- Ask PureModern to add a custom internal shelf in your planter
For more information, check out an article we’ve written on exactly this topic.
Do your planters have drainage systems?
Yes! We offer a number of irrigation and installation solutions.
For irrigation purposes, consider Ollie Plant Sippers, which capitalize on a plant’s own natural capillary action. With this system, plants require 80% less water, and the water holding tank only needs to be filled every six weeks – conserving resources and saving you time and money.
EZ Fill-Ter Bags provide a natural filtration system and are also an effective way to fill your planter that doesn't involve heavy soil or stones.
If you’re planning to hook up to an irrigation system, we can custom-cut drainage holes that fit your unique system.
If you’ve still got questions about how to choose a planter that will provide the right drainage solution for your design plan, find more information here or contact us today.
Why does PureModern prefer powder-coated planters?
At PureModern, we think about durability in three ways:
- Material strength for weather resistance. How well can a planter’s material stand up to everyday wear-and-tear, heat and cold, water exposure, and more?
- Aesthetic durability. How many years will a planter continue to look its best?
- Maintenance costs over time. Over the planter's lifetime, how much will you spend on maintenance between time and labor?
Powder-coated planters satisfy all three of these requirements and are the epitome of a lifetime product. They withstand the elements and look great over time, all while requiring minimal maintenance and upkeep.
The price point is higher, but you absolutely get what you pay for. Take a look:
- Heavy gauge 5052 marine-grade aluminum is used to ensure optimal durability in all weather conditions.
- We use a bonded powder coat on the marine-grade aluminum with TIGER Drylac® Series 38 architectural-grade powder inside and out to create a durable hard shell on the aluminum planter.
- Our powder coating is free of the VOCs (also known as “volatile organic compounds”) commonly found in building materials. VOCs can sometimes be unstable and emit unhealthy gasses that can negatively impact people and the environment.
- This grade of aluminum is used for ships and airplanes and this type of powder coating is used in military equipment and communication towers.
Specify Modern Planters for Your Next Space
Today’s modern design demands style paired with functionality. More and more designers are using modern planters to achieve these modern design plans.
Organized and sleek, modern planters incorporate straight lines and edges or sweeping curves that give definition to any space. Beyond the aesthetics, modern planters also deliver a variety of functional benefits.
Why Modern Planters Are Important
Modern planters facilitate a multitude of design objectives. The clean lines add an element of interest to any open space while also creating structure for users of that space.
The benefits of modern planters go well beyond the aesthetics they provide to a design plan. Including modern planters can transport visitors to a tranquil mindset. Rustling leaves can give a design plan its own soundtrack. On the flipside, plants can actually absorb sound and deliver the same results to a space as adding a carpet.
Research proves that being surrounded by natural elements offers significant physical and psychological benefits, including:
What Our Happy Customers Have to Say
“Fit perfectly in our foyer and drip tray allows us to plant directly. Customer Service Rep was also very helpful in navigating their catalog.” -Albert L.
“I love PureModern's planters! I've purchased a number of them for our home and have found them to be of excellent quality and they look great. And their service is top notch. It's my go-to place for pots and planters.” - Lawrence B.
“I’m in an NYC rooftop apt but no landscapers allowed in the building during COVID. I was delighted to find these commercial-quality planters at Pure Modern. Rep answered my many questions over the phone and helped me order exactly what I needed. Shipment was prompt, perfect condition.” - Janet M.
Click here for more testimonials.
Modern Planter Projects
The Towers at Emeryville - Emeryville, CA
Southcentre Mall - Calgary, AB Canada
Need a Custom Modern Planter?
Modern planters are a fundamental design element of any commercial, residential, or hospitality project.
But they’ve also got to withstand significant wear-and-tear.
When modern planters deteriorate, they compromise the visual appeal of your space and you’ll undoubtedly end up spending more in the long-run. So, whenever possible, opt for a modern planter that lasts 20+ years rather than compromising on long-term quality for short-term savings.
If you’ve got questions about how to purchase the right custom modern planter, get in touch with us today. Our team of experts is here to help.